Shoulder pain is one of the most common forms of back pain and can be caused by a variety of different issues. From muscle strain to slipped discs, shoulder pain can range from mild discomfort to severe debilitating agony. If you’re suffering from shoulder pain in Atlanta, GA it’s important that you understand the possible causes so that you can get an accurate diagnosis and receive effective treatment. This blog post will take a look at some of the types of back injuries which commonly cause shoulder pain in Atlanta residents. So read on for more information about managing your shoulder pain.
What Are The Different Types Of Back Injuries That Can Cause Shoulder Pain
Back injuries can cause shoulder pain in a variety of ways. Some common back injuries that can cause shoulder pain are the following:
A herniated disc occurs when the cushioning material between the vertebrae becomes damaged, allowing a portion of the disc to press on nerve roots. This can irritate the nerves in the spine and cause pain in other parts of the body, including the shoulder.
Spinal stenos occur when the spinal canal becomes narrow and puts pressure on nerve roots. This can cause pain in other parts of the body, such as the shoulder.
Sprains and strains
Strains or sprains of muscles, ligaments, or tendons in the back can cause shoulder pain if they are severe enough. For example, a strained rotator cuff can cause shoulder pain.
Arthritis of the spine can lead to stiffness and inflammation in the spine that may radiate out and cause shoulder pain.
Sciatica is a condition caused by compression of a nerve root near the spine. It can cause pain, numbness, and tingling in the back that radiates to other parts of the body, such as the shoulder.
Muscle spasms in the back can lead to pain in other parts of the body, including the shoulder. This is because a muscle spasm may cause a nerve to become pinched.
These are some of the most common back injuries that can lead to shoulder pain. However, it is important to note that there may be other causes of shoulder pain that should be evaluated by your doctor. If you experience any type of shoulder pain, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible or contact a shoulder specialist to determine the cause and begin a treatment plan.
The Benefits Of Visiting A Specialist For Your Shoulder Pain Caused By A Back Injury
Visiting a specialist for shoulder pain caused by a back injury is an important step to take when seeking relief. Here are some of the benefits of seeing a specialist for your shoulder pain:
- A specialist will be able to diagnose and treat any underlying issues that could be causing your shoulder pain.
- They can create a personalized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
- Specialists can provide advice on how to manage your pain and prevent it from coming back.
- They can provide physical therapy to help strengthen and rehabilitate the shoulder muscles.
- Specialists can offer other treatments, such as injections or surgery, if necessary.
By visiting a specialist for your back-related shoulder pain, you can be sure that you are getting the best possible care for your condition. With their expertise and experience, they can help you find relief and get back to your daily activities.
How To Find A Qualified Shoulder Specialist
Finding a qualified shoulder specialist can be an important step in treating a back injury that is causing shoulder pain. A shoulder specialist is a doctor or physical therapist who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of shoulder injuries. Here are some tips on how to find a qualified shoulder specialist:
- Ask your primary care physician or orthopedic surgeon for a referral.
- Check with your insurance company to see which shoulder specialists they cover in your area.
- Look online for reviews from past patients of different shoulder specialists in your area.
- Contact the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) to verify if your chosen specialist is board-certified.
- Ask the specialist about their experience with treating similar back injuries that are causing shoulder pain.
Finding a qualified shoulder specialist can be an important step in getting the best care for your injury. With the right specialist, you can get the treatment and relief you need to regain your full range of motion in your shoulder and get back to your normal activities.
Tips For Preventing Shoulder Pain
Shoulder pain is a common issue caused by a variety of underlying conditions and injuries. While some shoulder pain may be unavoidable, there are certain steps that can be taken to help reduce the risk of developing it in the first place. Here are some tips for preventing shoulder pain:
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise is essential for maintaining a healthy back and shoulder. Strengthening the muscles of the core, shoulders, and upper back helps to support the spine, reducing strain on the muscles and ligaments in the area.
- Avoid heavy lifting: Lifting heavy weights or objects can put extra strain on the shoulder muscles and joints, leading to pain. If you need to lift something heavy, be sure to use proper form and posture, and ask for help if necessary.
- Practice good posture: Poor posture can lead to muscle strain and misalignment of the spine, causing shoulder pain. Be mindful of your posture when sitting or standing, and take frequent breaks throughout the day to stretch your muscles.
- Get plenty of rest: Taking breaks between activities can help to reduce stress on the shoulder and prevent fatigue from setting in. Getting enough sleep at night is also important for promoting overall health and healing.
By following these tips, you can help to reduce your risk of developing shoulder pain due to a back injury or another underlying cause. If you do experience shoulder pain, be sure to contact your doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Visiting a specialist for your back-related shoulder pain can provide you with the best possible care for your condition.
Contact A Shoulder Specialist In Atlanta, GA
If you’ve been suffering from shoulder pain caused by your back injury, it’s important to see a specialist who can properly diagnose and treat your condition. Georgia Hand, Shoulder & Elbow is the preeminent medical practice in Atlanta, GA specializing in shoulder pain and other related conditions. They offer comprehensive diagnostics and treatments that are tailored to each patient’s individual needs. Their experienced doctors will work with you to create a treatment plan that will help relieve your shoulder pain and improve your quality of life.
Georgia Hand, Shoulder & Elbow is committed to providing the highest level of care and they strive to ensure that every patient’s experience is positive and successful. They have a team of specialists with years of experience working with shoulder injuries and chronic pain, so you can trust that you’re in good hands. They also offer physical therapy services that can help you recover faster and get back to enjoying your life. If you’re looking for a shoulder specialist in Atlanta, GA who can help treat your shoulder pain caused by a back injury, Georgia Hand, Shoulder & Elbow is the perfect place to start. Contact them today to schedule an appointment and begin your journey to finding relief from your shoulder pain.